Dec 9, 2014

Drones Claim First Victim



A small aircraft spun out of control during an attempt to land it on a Brooklyn Daily reporter's hand. 

Georgine Benvenuto, a photographer for the Brooklyn Daily, told the newspaper one of the two mistletoe-toting drones at the Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, location spun out of control Dec. 4 and struck her in the nose.
"It literally chipped off a tip of my nose," she said. "It took off part of my nose and cut me here, right under my chin."
"Thank god it didn't go anywhere under my eye -- that is my livelihood," Benvenuto said.
David Quiones, drone operator at the restaurant, said the small aircraft spun out of control during an attempt to land it on a Brooklyn Daily reporter's hand. He said the reporter flinched during the landing, sending the drone out of control toward the photographer's face.
Quiones said the incident will not bring an end to the Mobile Mistletoe program.
"If people get hurt, they're going to come regardless. People get hurt in airplanes, they still fly," Quiones said. "There is a risk involved -- anything flying, there is risk."


Source:
TGI Fridays' 'Mistletoe Drone' slices woman's nose